Reply to "Game of Thrones [The TV Show Only; Please No Spoilers Based Upon the Books]"

quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
I don't think that Martin ever intended to have quite so many twists and turns as people expect in the TV show (or on the internet). It's like viewers will be upset if there aren't some more major surprises or sudden deaths, or beloved characters dying.

I think his original twist ending was the R+L=J reveal. I can remember reading the books for the first time, thinking it was a great story about Robb Stark getting revenge for Ned's death, and then being blown away by the Red Wedding and coming to realize that the story wasn't about Robb Stark at all, but about Jon Snow and the Others.

If you read the books more than once and the World of Ice and Fire - I think you would be surprised at how many twists and history were planned - The Prologue of the first book starts with the Others - which was a major sign that they were of critical importance. While I can't say I had any idea where the story was going either, I knew Jon was critically important right away