Skip to main content

Reply to "Game of Thrones [The TV Show Only; Please No Spoilers Based Upon the Books]"

I don't know if anyone's interested, but I'd like to mention two games based on AGoT. One of my hobbies is boardgaming. The new world of boardgaming is very different from the "roll and move" games, like Monopoly, from our childhood. They are often very thematic and there is a complexity of play. I am linking to the number one board game website--boardgamegeek.com--so if you wish you can see what the games look like.

The first one is A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition). This card game features characters, places and events with card art based on the books. (Though sometimes the look does acknowledge the TV show. It can be played one on one or in a multiplayer format. There is a base set, but the way these games are played is by buying monthly chapter packs to build the best challenge deck you can. These "factions" game be one of the major houses, or even the Knight's Watch. There are also tournaments all over the world. This is not an easy game, I'd give it a complexity rating of 7. A one on one game can usually be played in under an hour.

And even harder game, perhaps a rating of 8, is A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition). In this game each player is a faction who is trying to control territory in Westeros. It is best played with 6 and can run about 4 hours. To play you'd really need a full complement of players who are willing to put in that much time. Also it will take about half a dozen times before you really even start to understand the various strategies. However, it is an evocative game that relies on making alliances with other players and them backstabbing them at the right time (Very Game of Throneish.)

Often when an property like a TV show is turned into a game it's almost always a failure--and there are a number of not so good games based on the show--even a not so terrible version of Risk. However, the company that makes both of the games I mentioned, Fantasy Flight Games, has done an excellent job. They also make my favorite boardgame, Battlestar Galatica, which manages to bring out the paranoia of the show (Who's a Cylon, who's a human?) so that you actually feel it during the game.

Oh yeah, this is probably the best boardgame based on wine making, Viticulture.