Reply to "Finer Wines with Great QPR?"

quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
jhcolman - it's a QPR if the second digit of the score is higher than the first digit of the price, until you get to the hundreds, in which case it's the first 2 digits of the price.

So a 95 point wine that sells for $44 is a good QPR, but a 95 point wine that sells for $73 isn't.

That was a tongue-in-cheek formula a friend originally applied to Parker years ago, but the good news is, if you're going to buy by points, you can always find someone somewhere who gave high points to a wine. Vino Vixen, where are you . . .?

I guess that formula would apply to Parker scores, which I find (by my taste) generally to be a couple of points on the high side. Big Grin And if the wine is fully bodied, full fruited, in "international style", it definitely has high Parker QPR. Big Grin Big Grin . Personally, and I think for most folks, there are not many wines that rate over a true 95.

Here in Canada, it's pretty well impossible to buy a wine that would warrant true 93 score for $30 or under (more like $50 or more here), or a wine that would warrant a true 95 for $50 or under (more like $100 or more here). And perhaps barely possible in the US, given lower taxes on alcohol. Unless you inflate your scores, as many wine pundits do.

All of the above is any event totally irrelevent, as both wine scores and QPR are a matter of personal taste. But when I see a consensus of both professional and lay taste opinion that a wine has good QPR, I pay attention.

Cheers,

Jhcolman