Skip to main content

Reply to "Fine Watches"

quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Weren't the ones from you father more valuable to you than any you could buy? I have my father's gold Le Coultre and Movado, along with the inexpensive watch he wore to work everyday. I'd never part with any of them.

Fair question, Board-O.

My dad passed away 15 years ago. He was a long-time watch collector, frequently buying or selling, and he left me 6 watches. Two of them-- a gold IWC Schaffhausen and a stainless steel Doxa-- are the watches that I remember him wearing all the time; they were his favourites. I will always keep those two, will wear them occasionally, and will eventually pass them on to my son.

I've got 3 nice watches of my own. The other 4 watches that my dad left me just don't get worn, are all manual-winder models so of limited interest to collectors, and are fairly delicate. My son's not interested in them. Rather than leave them sitting in a drawer, I'm finally getting rid of them. As I wrote, I wasn't looking for or planning to buy another watch; it was just an impulse decision while I was in the store that will sell the 4 watches on consignment.