Skip to main content

Reply to "Fine Watches"

quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Rothko, I agree with Rob.

Fossil is a company started and based in Dallas, and produces many fashion items, including watches. They also make many other fashion watches under different branding.

They bought out Zodiac ( Swiss based) watches years ago, and for their price point seem to be very popular.

As for Shinola, they buy movements out of the Far East or from ETA, and are in the $500-$1000 price point I think. As I said, I agree with Rob. He will be proud of his Fossil and a great start to his passion of horology. Big Grin

Shinola buys movements from Far East? They have done some crafty advertising then because all their advertisements highly suggest they are an all-American brand. Good to know

I just looked it up. Shinola watches are assembled in Detroit, but use a "Swiss" movement made by Ronda. To call it a "Swiss" movement, I believe it must be designed in Switzerland, the design must have been originally made in Switzerland, and must contain a certain percentage of Swiss parts (maybe 30%?), but it can use parts from, and be put together in another country, and still be called "Swiss". In this case, it seems the movements are made either in Hong Kong or Thailand. This fact has raised criticism of the brand image (thus the nickname "Chinola"). But since the Shinola product actually does result in real jobs in the city of Detroit, most of the criticism has faded. Even if it's not 100%, it is more "American" than Seiko or Tag Hauer, for example. I believe Tag has been known to use similar Asian made "Swiss" movements in some of their watches from time to time.