Reply to "Fine Watches"

Over breakfast today, I was reading an ad for the Rolex Daytona which can 'perfectly measure elapsed time and calculate average speed... [it] sets the standard for those with a passion for driving and elegance.' Who cares? - I nearly had my license suspended last year (and besides my car has been telling me that for years). Why not just get to the point and tell me how powerful it will make me feel as I push that accelerator down harder!

Yesterday, there was the ad for Patek Philippe which informed me that I wouldn't actually be allowed to own it. It said something about being just a caretaker or something who would look after it for the next generation. Made me feel kind of powerless.

None of these watches seem to do what I really want - which is tell me what time it is in a straightforward, uncluttered, and direct manner. Even the Timex and Saico watches nowadays seem hopelessly cluttered with dials and irrelevant stuff.

I may have to carry on with my humble 35 year old Rolex Tudor for a bit longer. It doesn't tell time very accurately, but based on the ads I am reading lately, telling time is not what watches do anyway.

OK, time to get in the car and get going now.