Skip to main content

Reply to "February 2011: What are you drinking?"

Shared with Ampuis and his lovely lady recently:

- 2003 Zind Humbrecht Riesling Hunawihr Clos Windsbuhl -- rich and silky, lots of citrus and mineral, long finish

- 1994 King Estate Pinot Noir -- shockingly good, like a Village or maybe Premier Burgundy that's 10-15 years old, great balance of fruit and acidity; a real revelation for me in just how well an Oregon Pinot can age and improve, (Ampuis also brought a 1998 Erath single vineyard Pinot, but unfortunately it was corked)

- 1999 Delas Cote-Rotie Segneur de Maugiron -- deep dark fruit flavours, mouth-coating, plush, drinking very well right now, outstanding and finished by us very quickly

- 1997 Grahams Port -- inky, intense, powerful, young, and great (375 ml)

Shared with Dunder and VanCityWino, and their much better halves, recently:

- NV Diebolt-Valois Champagne A Cramant -- really delicious fruit

- 1995 Nicolas Feuillatte Champagne Le Mesnil -- stunning nose, beautiful colour, and no disappointment in the mouth either, great bottle of wine

- 2002 Pegasus Bay Sauvignon/Semillon -- big citrus, peach, and lychee flavours

- 1993 Paulo Scavino Barolo Bric Del Fiasc -- drinks like a much younger wine, floral nose, lots of fruit, great acidity, will still go on for a long time

- 2004 Mauro Veglio Barolo Vignetto Arborina -- amazing how much this was like the previous wine, hard to believe they weren't close to the same age

- 2004 Antonelli Sagrantino di Montefalco -- balanced and tasty, seems still young

- 2004 Robert Foley Claret -- big and balanced, delicious

- 2002 Shafer Relentless -- powerhouse, intense fruit

- 1998 d'Arenberg Shiraz The Dead Arm -- interesting to have this right after Relentless, it's bigger yet more balanced, I think this may still be evolving and improving (based on having had 1 in each of the last 4 years)

- 1989 Shloss Schonborn Riesling Auslese Erbacher Marcobrunn -- shitty cork, amber colour, but somehow still has pretty intense and fairly sweet fruit, good not great

I've been drinking down my 1999 Gigondas for a few weeks (mostly through January)

- Santa Duc Prestige Haut Garrigues -- very good, quite silky, still lots of fruit, still some tannin at end

- St Cosme -- used to be pretty tannic but it's smooth now, plum and tobacco flavours, med. finish

- Montirius -- last bottle, and I'm sorry I drank my others a few years ago, this is the best of the 7 or 8 different Gigondas that I bought this vintage, and it's still showing strong, can go a few more years I think; a great value when I bought it

- Brusset Les Hauts Montmirail -- always solid, seems a bit faded now

- Tardieu-Laurent Vielles Vignes -- I had high hopes for this and am disappointed, it's drinkable but tired, lot of drying tannins on the finish, and I still have 2 bottles