Skip to main content

Reply to "Extremely low basement humidity"

I've never worried about humidity here in Chicago where it is very humid in the summer and very dry in the winter.  I always just went with the fact that a cork that is wet from the inside (wine) is good enough.  I think at normal humidity levels that is most likely true.

However, I spend a lot of time in Colorado and I know that dryness there is an entirely different thing!  In Colorado I would be concerned about a lot of ullage as I suspect the humidity gradient between inside and outside of the bottle is enough to cause problems over time.  I think some sort of passive humidification is probably fine, like you suggest- a bucket of water or a big pan.  An active humidifier would probably be even better, but who wants to add water to their wine cellar every day?  If I was building a cellar in CO I would consider using loose rocks (like pea gravel or small river rocks) as the flooring and just dousing it in water every so often.  The wet rocks have a large surface area and will allow for evaporation pretty readily.  I know that mold is really not a concern in CO, which is quite different for those of us from wet parts of the world.

Good luck!