Skip to main content

Reply to "Dec 2019 - what are you drinking?"

Decided it was time for a big boy dinner for 5...my place, since I'm the go-to chef:

Started by tearing into buddy's bakery's bread with some Compte (and had arm twisted into opening a 2008 Dom P as a bonus bottle to drink while waiting for latecomers).

Then caviar on blini

Then seared foie gras on toasts, drizzled with sauce of veal stock, honey, and wine vinegar

Then seared Waygu flat iron, with fries, drizzled with waygu stock reduction

Then boned rolled stuffed bacon-wrapped rabbit, with roasted veggies and peas, drizzled with rabbit stock reduction

Vino

2008 Dom P (with bread and cheese)
1998 Krug Clos du Mesnil (with caviar)
2003 d’yquem (with foie)
1982 Chateau Haut Brion
1982 Chateau Mouton Rothschild
1982 Chateau Lafite Rothschild
1982 Chateau Latour

All wines were sound and excellent, as expected...I liked all 4 reds, the pauillac reds may have had an edge over the HB (but they all changed over the evening), hard to pick a winner but if I had to it would probably be latour, at least on the palate...mouton and HB on the nose.

1998 Krug C d M was profound on opening, wish I'd finished my glass within 20-30 minutes, as it lost something after that time, but was still excellent b d b bubbly with characteristics of a great champs and a great chard.

Oh and the food turned out fairly nice also; I tried to keep it fresh and clean to prevent it interfering with enjoyment of the wine...mission accomplished, I think.

Two more quasi-epic dinners coming in the next few weeks...