Skip to main content

Reply to "Coronavirus 2019"

Probably around 60% of the U.S. is already or will soon be vaccinated.  The other 40% or so will not be.  Covid restrictions will go away and most people will go back to their daily lives.  The virus will go along and continue to infect that 40% of non-vaccinated people.  The infection rates will be slower, in all likelihood, but they will continue and they might even increase in areas where non-vaccinated people cluster.

Those people will either: a) be asymptomatic but pass it along to other non-vaccinated persons before gaining immunity; b) become sick and survive Covid but gain immunity (some may have long-term effects and some may not); or c) become sick and die.  Death rates should go down, as better treatments and medicine will continue to advance but still there will be people dying who otherwise would have survived if they had been vaccinated.

And eventually the virus will mostly burn out as it works it's way through the 40%.

And my sympathies for the non-vaccinated people who get Covid and either have long-term effects or die from the disease will be limited, since they made the decision not to take an effective and safe vaccine.

The downsides are that every infection allows the virus a chance to mutate into something that could become problematic for even the vaccinated people.  There are some people who, for whatever reason, can't take a vaccine and are unprotected and may catch Covid from the non-vaccinated people - and that is a true tragedy.  And the societal and economic costs of 40% of the country becoming sick and continuing to die are enormous.  But that is a price that will just have to be paid because too many people are not going to take the vaccines to get us to herd immunity through vaccines alone.

×
×
×
×