Skip to main content

Reply to "Coronavirus 2019"

From what I've been able to read, it seems that there are two ways to reach herd immunity:  the vaccine; or getting Covid and recovering.  If a significant percentage of the population doesn't take the vaccine, then the Covid virus will just continue to spread, perhaps slower than right now, through the unvaccinated population.  Those people will either be asymptomatic or they will get sick.  Some will go into hospitals, and some will die.  The vaccinated people, in the meantime, will be almost entirely immune from serious illness or death.  The unvaccinated people are making a decision to gamble that they won't get seriously sick or die.  Just as the vaccinated people are making a decision to gamble that the vaccine isn't going to harm them.

If that's the case, once the vaccine becomes readily available to everyone who wants one (apparently by the summer), I see no reason why anyone should continue Covid precautions such as mask wearing or social distancing.   

As someone who intends to be fully vaccinated, I will have little or no sympathy for those who voluntarily elected not to take the vaccine but get sick.  Just as I am sure that the unvaccinated people will have little or no sympathy for me if I get some terrible complication or illness from the vaccine.