Skip to main content

Reply to "Coronavirus 2019"

@mangiare posted:

bman, I have to disagree with you here.  Both provincial and federal governments have mismanaged this beyond comprehension.  

if they were actually serious about people not seeing each other and travelling, they would have banned flying, imposed curfews, and actually done something as they have in many European countries.  Spain and Italy were actually looking ok until they dropped their guards over the summer. Our ‘leaders’ have closed small business for 2 months and asked people nicely not to get together.  Judging by the cases, an absolute colossal failure. Go to any construction site, manufacturing plant, factory, and even large office and many protocols are not being followed, if at all.  How do you move and install large items (appliances, fireplaces, furnaces, plumbing, electrical??) and remain 6 feet apart? Costco, ikea, and Walmart are packed beyond comprehension????? Only our ‘leaders’ created this. They went for the low hanging fruit to appease the public and make it look like they were doing something when closing small business.

path of least resistance  

I can tell you from personal experience that many are not following these suggested guidelines. (Notice I didn’t call them rules)  People are travelling across the country and south to all the Caribbean countries.  Many cases are being attributed to family members picking up relatives at the airport before their ‘quarantine’
Guess what? It’s allowed so it can’t be that bad and I don’t disagree with them at all.  If the government was serious they would literally shut down and impose curfews but......but you may piss off the real $

And for the snowbirds, it’s very ease to ship a car to Florida for $1500 and just fly.

I don't disagree that the quarantine could be more vigorously enforced and limits on the number of people in the stores allowed to be open as well.  But I don't think that the degree of enforcement you are suggesting would work.  Resources to enforce the restrictions might not be sufficient and in any case, a certain degree of compliance from the population is required for almost any such restrictions to work.  The government could call for all flights to be grounded and maybe they should.

I can't agree though that our handling of the virus has been a "colossal failure", at least according to the data.  We always compare ourselves to the US and of course we are doing a lot better than them, unsurprisingly given the truly colossal failure of most political leaders there.  But comparing us to other countries, both OECD and non-OECD shows that we are doing relatively well. 

Covid death rates - Statista

We could certainly do better and perhaps more draconian measures and enforcement of them should be imposed but I think you are overstating the degree of failure of our federal and provincial governments, except perhaps Alberta which seems to have handled it worse than others.  And the Atlantic provinces seem to have handled it very well indeed.