Skip to main content

Reply to "Coronavirus 2019"

Thinking about the virus makes me even more a supporter of something since I was a teenager, space travel. Early liberal dogma in the 70s suggested money was wasted on NASA when we have so many problems on the Earth. As has been shown there were many benefits gleaned from the space program. However, there's a more important long-sighted goal of space travel, our planet is eventually doomed and the next pandemic might be the one that wipes out most of humanity. Or certainly an asteroid will obliterate all of civilization at some point. Interesting guesses, based on the information science currently has, predicts a 5km to 10km asteroid hits the Earth on average every 20 million years. The last one was the dinosaur extinctor 65 million years ago. That one was estimated to be 10 km. Think about only a six mile wide chunk of rock causing extinction of the human race. And one of them is due. And of course at the end of the line is the burnout and shift to red giant phase of our own Sun, which will cause the Earth to be vaporized inside the super-hot gaseous sphere.

So at the least, to guarantee the survival of the species, somebody's got to get off this planet and be able to live, not just on the Moon or Mars, but between the stars.

I'm on board with Space Force if it's without weaponry. We probably won't be encountering any aliens out there. Though a "super-duper" photon torpedo or two might not hurt.

Last edited by The Old Man