Skip to main content

Reply to "Coronavirus 2019"

I get bending the curve and providing some restraint from normal activities.  I also believe that shutting down the economy for several months is an overreaction.  Masses of people partying on the beach is a little much right now.  There can be a balance between two extremes.   We should try to do what we can to maintain the economy while taking precautions, especially with the elderly.

We have already had 10,000 deaths from the flu this year and have had much higher rates in other years.  In 2017 we had 80,000 people in the US die from the flu.  So far  the total number of deaths from the Wuhan virus is around 8,700, with about half being in China.  In the US, there have been about 100 deaths from the virus. Cases in South Korea have been declining.

Do I think there has been an overreaction and panic with the virus?  Yes, but I also believe we should take some precautions.  Interestingly, from various comments I have seen, it seems the older generation is less panicked about this situation and think that we should take moderate steps in preventing spreading the virus to the elderly and medically compromised people.