Reply to "Cork eaten by beetles!?"

thebugguy: I only used the word “weevil” because I read about this being the historically “correct” terms for the critters.

Unfortunately, I was unable to get a complete specimen from the cork…just some segments, and I’m afraid I did not save them. However, I do think you could very well be correct with one of the Dermestidae. The way the cork was eaten suggests this family (not as “organised” as with the Scolytidae). My beetle guide is not very complete, but I was thinking of Dermestes lardarius (that's probably your larder beetle, in Dutch it’s called “Bacon Beetle”), or larvae of Anobium punctatum (“Death Knocker” in Dutch), which is very common over here. The size of some of the holes in the cork also seem to fit. But there are probably plenty of species more possible…

The most puzzling thing to me was that the capsule appeared to be intact: how did they get to the cork?
Anyway, thanks for this pleasant trip down memory lane: I’m a biologist myself, and although I got my MSc in Plant Ecotoxicology I always have had a soft spot for beetles and bugs (I used to have a T-shirt that said “weevils rule”… Roll Eyes). Should you be interested in a picture of the cork in question, I can always try to take a picture or scan it.