Reply to "Coravin - early test results"

quote:
Originally posted by W-MassWineGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:
quote:
Originally posted by W-MassWineGuy:
Just curious, when you plunge the needle through the cork, do you get any idea of how the cork has been holding up?

I've gone through the same cork 5x on one bottle. No seepage; no indication that the needle is destroying the bottle. It's a pretty thin hollow needle, but my guess is that if you accessed the same bottle many more than 6-7 times, you might start to do some damage. But then I'd wonder, why are you accessing that bottle so frequently!

But, this is a good question . . . on vacation right now, but going to do an access test when I get home to see how many needle punctures start to destroy the cork. This is like the Owl's question of how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop (anyone remember that commercial).

Glad to see you're getting you money's worth. I was thinking more along the lines of older wines/ corks. If you use it on a wine with some age (say you have a case), will there be less resistance if the cork is saturated and turning to mush on the inside? Possibly signaling that its time to start drinking your stock sooner than later.

I suppose the very existence of the coravin makes this somewhat of a moot point given that you'll be able to check in on the wine over time and not have to remove the cork anyways. Guess I've rationalized my own question away and convinced myself to buy one at the same time.

W-Mass . . . you're in good company. I've had a number of people email me this exact same question. I'm hoping to find a way in early fall to bring the Coravin to NYC. G-man has some old Ports that would be excellent candidates for this test.

I'm pretty much a young wine drinker, though in rehab for that and moving toward greater age on wine, so all my tests will essentially be with younger wines (<10 years)

If and when I get down to NYC and can get G-man's thoughts on older Port bottles, then I think we'll have a 360 view of this thing