Skip to main content

Reply to "College Football 2020"

Weekend Summary

Lot of action yesterday for sure, CFB is in full swing. Alabama seems to be the team as they easily shut down Mike Leach and Miss St 41-0. There was angst in Tigerland as Clemson first learned likely #1 draft pick QB Trevor Lawrence (playing it coy on coming out since he does not want to play for the Jets) contracted COVID. Still BC did not pose a challenge, right, but the Eagles did jumping out to a 28-10 lead. Clemson rallied behind frosh 5 star DJ Uiagalelei and all time ACC rusher Travis Etienne for a 34-28 exhale win. Dabo says Lawrence will not play against Notre Dame, now playing well, next week. Ohio State, based on two games, may be Bama's best threat as they went into Happy Valley and handled Penn St 38-25

The other SEC teams still in the playoff hunt are Texas A&M, Georgia and Florida. A&M beat surprising Arkansas, Georgia over Kentucky in a lackluster win and the Gators beat Mizzou easier than expected after a 3 week layoff. The Gator 1st team defense finally played well despite having half the DB out. A brawl ensued at the half so suspensions could alter next week's Cocktail Party for the East in Jax. Auburn pulled off the most Malzahn thing ever by blasting LSU 48-11, the largest margin of victory in that series.

Some other Big 10 games were interesting. As Irwin mentioned, Maryland won a wild OT game over Minnesota. Tulia Tagovailea, yes Tua's brother and Bama transfer, played a great game and is fun to watch. Michigan St, after losing to Rutgers last week, upsets Michigan in the "Big Chill" game. Jim Harbaugh is rivaling the Gus Bus for most confounding coach. I would say he has no chance against the Buckeyes, but this is a COVID year and Big 10 rules are in place.

Texas upended Okie St in OT, and with that, the Big 12's slim playoff hopes may be gone. Finally, there are 3 non Power Five unbeatens that are ranked, BYU, Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina. As all of you know, I am partial to the hometown Chants and their 51-0 win at Georgia St was a statement win. To me, they are the story of the year in CFB. Their coach, Jamey Chadwell, has told his team the national TV games stop when the lose.