Skip to main content

Reply to "College Football 2020"

Weekend Summary

Good question. I have lived in the South and will do so until I depart this earth. Everyone here talks about CFB constantly. I have loved it since I went to my first game at 9 years of age. While I do not take it quite as seriously as I did say 15 years ago, it has been a good part of my life. And yes, I do many other things I consider fun as well.

It was great having the Big 10 playing football again. Ohio St looked like their usual selves, Michigan played impressively at Minnesota and Wisconsin indeed may have found them a legit QB. Really looking forward to head to head matchups between these teams. Game of the day was in Bloomington, Indiana, of all places. IU held a 17-7 lead on Penn St but the Nittany Lions scored with some 2:30 left to take a 21-20 lead. They then stopped IU to take over the ball on the IU 12 yd line. The Hoosiers pretty much let PSU score as their runner realized that on the 1 yd line but could not stop himself (note to James Franklin to take a knee, kick the FG and depend on your D to stop them with 30 seconds left). The strategy paid off as Indiana marched down the field, scored and then converted the 2 pt play to tied it at 28. They then botched  a squib kick but got a break when the PSU FG attempt from long range was short by say 6 inches. In OT, PSU scored a TD, but IU countered. They then went in with a  2 pt attempt and QB Michael Penix Jr dove at the pylon. It was called TD on the field, and after a 5 minute review, the call stood, IU 36-35. It was a call so close no one could tell if he made it or not, and I hear some gambling outlets refunded PSU bettors. Game of the year so far.

Alabama beat Tenn again easily but lost WR Jaylen Waddle for the season, and that could show up later. Auburn again got the best of a questionable call but Bo Nix did drive them down the filed late to beat Ole Miss. LSU routed SC behind a frosh QB, nothing new for the incompetent Will Muschamp except he keeps extracting money from willing administrators. LSU, however, has been caught. Odell Beckham threw out $2,000 in cash at the Natty game, really smart move. A booster was caught embezzling $180,000 from a hospital to pay an O line recruit's dad for a non existent job (wonder what a skill player gets). To me, that is about as low as you can go stealing from a hospital just to win at CFB. LSU basketball has been caught with even more brazen pay to play schemes, so the NCAA will investigate both. It will probably take 5 years and nothing will happen.

Clemson decided to play late yesterday while Notre Dame had their best game thus far. Ok St is unbeaten but going nowhere. As far as good stories, Marshall has won all of their games, and ta da, Costal Carolina goes to 5-0 without their starting QB.