Skip to main content

Reply to "College Football 2020"

Weekend Summary

Doing this out of habit even in this surreal year. Early tee time (do not agree to that often) so hence the early post.

Even in a limited schedule it felt good to have a slate of games from familiar teams. The ACC is front and center this week, but nothing happened that was out of the ordinary. Clemson is still Clemson, an embarrassment of riches, but Wake played them reasonably well. Mack Brown's young and talented Tar Heels got 21 in the 4th to dispatch Syracuse. Miami beat UAB, and no one knew they were social distancing because that looked like a normal crowd. FSU has a new coach, but they looked the same despite blocking three FGs (one an extra point). The mistake prone Noles lost their 4th straight opener to a 3-9 Ga Tech at home 16-13. And yes, Notre Dame played the 1st conference game in their history downing Duke 27-13. It was an average performance by the Irish but historic nonetheless.

You have conference rivalries as to who is the best like SEC/ACC or Big 10/Pac 12, but Big 12 vs the Sun Belt. The Sun Belt was 3-0 against the Big 12 all by visiting teams. Louisiana, formerly USL, went into Ames and made Iowa St pretty much concede in the final minutes crunching them 31-14. Coach Billy Napier has Saban and Dabo pedigree (I saw his team live last year and they are well coached), and will be the hottest coach available. Arkansas St edged Kansas St in the Little Apple. And finally, my hometown Chants, Coastal Carolina dominated Kansas 38-23. Les Miles may head back into retirement as CCU has now beaten the Jayhawks twice. While Oklahoma, Texas and West Virginia won easily, the Big 12 is not a good conference.

Of course, the future of the season is week to week, and I am praying that the SEC can open on Sept 26. And yes, we will see what the Big 10 does now.