Reply to "College Football 2019"

wineart 2 posted:
greendrazi posted:

Norvell

Good call and certainly more in line of the type of coach Florida State could realistically expect, IMO.

Dreaming of Stoops, Franklin or Kelly et al just never made sense to me. Stoops walked away with back to back Big 12 titles and a ton of talent returning ( back to back again since) Franklin has a top 10 program at Penn St and Kelly has a top 15 program at Norte Dame. That said, there is talk Kelly might like to try the NFL. 

Stoops never made sense to me and I said so but you had to try. The other two both had reasons to maybe leave. Kelly may have wanted to give it a go at a school with no academic restrictions in recruiting. Franklin may have wanted to jump to a better a job. You say it's not but since PSU and FSU joined their current conferences in the mid 90s FSU has 13 conference titles, 1 natty and 1 playoff appearance. PSU has 5 conference titles. Plus, Franklin currently works for the notoriously cheap Eric Barron (PSU pres). How do I know hes cheap? He was FSU's pres for the first part of Jimbo. It was a constant battle to get money and facilities. We all loved it when he left. We met with Franklin and he asked for about $8M per year. He did the same to USC which is a better job than PSU or FSU. PA boy who is happy at home and who will be announcing a new extension with more money very soon I'm sure. 

I feel bad for Norvell. Boosters didn't want him. The boosters were closing their check books and that's why Willie was fired. No one I have talked to is writing any big checks now either. Without booster support you have less money for staff and no bags get dropped on the recruiting trail. Quite frankly, Norvell is a dead man walking.