Reply to "College Football 2019"

Weekend Summary

Family wedding, I know there should be a law, but I still managed to keep up. There were easily 30 people in the bar portion of the clubhouse watching the end of Bama/LSU including almost every male in my family (it's just what we do).

There were two almost mortal locks this week, and I do not bet, but these were as close to sure things as exist. The first was LSU covering as Bama was favored only due to their recent dominance in the series and not their performance this year. This game indeed lived up to its billing as a high scoring affair. Alabama has recently imploded in big games, making errors uncharacteristic of a Saban team. LSU capitalized just enough for the win, and Joe Burrow may have had his Heisman moment on his final two drives. Barring a major upset, LSU can afford a loss in the SEC Title Game and still make the playoff. They are the first team since the 70s to notch four top ten wins in their first nine games. Coach O unleased a fiery F bomb to his team in the locker room but I will go with his classic "Geaux Tigahs".

The second lock was Clemson covering the spread this week, and hereon unless the oddsmakers adjust. These Tigers know they have little margin for error, and Dabo was given a gift with the initial ranking of 5 last week. I know he started that underdog rant (ROY bus and all), so his team will be on fire. Besides, that is their modus of past seasons.

We have a new catch phrase in CFB, courtesy of PJ Fleck, in "row the boat". Fleck looks to be the next super coach and has Minnesota, yes I said Minnesota, firmly in the playoff picture as they held off Penn St late. I looked at their history, and the Gophers were great in the leather  helmet era, but nothing since 1960 (where they are credited with a natty despite two losses). We will see if they can handle success and beat the Buckeyes.

Ohio State rolled Maryland for 73 points despite no Chase Young. Georgia easily beat Missouri. Both OU and Baylor survived setting up maybe the first of two games between the two.

Everyone pretty much has LSU, Ohio St and Clemson as their top 3. The next level is Georgia, Bama, Oregon or Utah, and OU or Baylor. Lots of football left.

One final note to file away. I went to the Coastal Carolina game last Thursday. They were smoked by the Louisiana Ragin Cajuns, whose coach is Billy Napier. This team is likely to go 10-2 and play App St for the Sun Belt. Napier has four years with Dabo and four years with Saban. I was very impressed watching his team. If you are looking for the next coach in the SEC, Napier may be it.