Reply to "College Football 2019"

Weekend Summary

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Yes, the playoff committee is breathing a sigh of relief, for now. It appeared that they had to make a tough choice of an unbeaten Oklahoma over a one loss Alabama or LSU. Not anymore as OU went to the Little Apple and got upset by KState 48-41. The Wildcats were the more physical team and raced out to a 48-23 lead. The Sooners have that winner's mindset and came back to make it a one score game late, and they appeared to recover an onside kick, but it was correctly reversed to seal their upset. OU needs a lot of help now.

We were treated to an old fashioned SEC slugfest, the kind of game Auburn likes to play. The Tigers, of the Plains variety, visited the Tigers, of the Bayou variety, in Death Valley. Auburn's DL harassed LSU QB Joe Burrow (first time this season for him) and that resulted in a narrow 23-20 LSU win. Burrow proved that he can win a game using his feet and intangibles, making key run after key run to keep drives alive. And Bo Nix, the prodigy Auburn QB, just does not quit . He is wildly inaccurate in big games, but always seems to make a play late. Auburn scored a late TD, and had their hands on the onside kick attempt, but LSU recovered and held on.

I wanted to watch some football last night, but no game was close. I was switching channels, but always seemed to go to baseball and Tiger Woods. For the first time in Nick Saban's tenure in T-town, he had to start a backup QB. Mac Jones executed a modest game plan and Bama swamped a bad Arkansas team. Clemson may be rounding into form as they boat raced BC 59-7. The khaki man finally got him a top ten win as Michigan was just flat out more physical than Notre Dame 45-14 in a downpour. No talk of ND in the playoff anymore.

So here is where we are, there are five teams for four slots. Both Bama and LSU, providing the winner beats the Florida/Georgia winner in the SEC Title Game, may well have two slots locked up. That is if the loser of that game goes unbeaten, and yes I know Auburn is capable of beating Bama. The Ohio St/Penn St winner should be the other one. However, Penn St plays unbeaten Minnesota next week so we may have to wait a week or so on that one. And then there, as always,  is Clemson, who should breeze their way in.

This is what I meant by my opening statement. The same teams are there, particularly Alabama and Clemson. The only caveat is that neither team has played anyone good, but that will change shortly for the Tide.