Reply to "College Football 2019"

Weekend Summary

As for missing my calling, maybe, but beer pays better. This is just for fun as is my Instagram. Just ask W2A for my handle (his is really good as well). It is golf, food and landmarks.

Early in the season so it is hard to get a handle on everything. To me, there are six teams with a chance at the whole thing so we start there. Clemson faced a Texas A&M team that gave them a game last year, but the Aggies had to make a trip to Upstate SC. The Tigers were not flashy, just methodical, in a 24-10 win. Dabo always brings his teams to a peak, and they have a schedule which allows them that luxury. Georgia and Bama handled outmatched opponents, nothing remarkable there.

Now onto the three teams which are better than I thought pre-season. The formula is simple for Lincoln Riley, take a good transfer QB and make him a Heisman winner and #1 pick. Jalen Hurts has adapted well thus far, and is putting up superior numbers at this point to Mayfield and Murray. The Sooner defense, while maybe not dominant, may be good enough to get it done this year. Georgia transfer and former #1 recruit Justin Fields looks to be for real as well. I thought that OSU would dip a bit under Ryan Day, but maybe not. The Bucks dominated a decent Cincinnati team. LSU visited Austin and played a Big 12 type game, outlasting Texas 45-38. Transfer QB joe Burrow (seeing the pattern here) looked the best of any LSU QB in recent memory. All three of these teams are serious playoff contenders.  

Now for a few teams under the radar who could be better than we think. Wisconsin can score points. So can Maryland. Both can be factors in the Big 10. Mack Brown has revived NC with frosh QB Sam Howell. Wake Forest can score points but we will see if they can play against teams with big lines. NC plays Wake next week.

And for the ones who are a bit less than expected. Michigan was fortunate to beat Army, to be fair so was OU last year, and Shea Patterson better start throwing better. Jim Harbaugh is annoying enough, and if he does not win the Big 10 this year it may be back to the NFL. I still think Scott Frost will do ok at Nebraska, but they are not a real threat to win the Big 10.

And finally, a few things that are already trite this season. One, Aussie punters who are 30 years old, Two, announcers saying if you know you are going for it on 4th down it affects the 3rd down call (duh). Three, the term complimentary football (meaning a slow tempo offense helps your defense).