Skip to main content

Reply to "College Football 2018"

Weekend Summary

Since the schedule was very lackluster, I treated it as a weekend without college football, meaning golf and a social function at night. I have yet to watch even the Gator replay. Thus, my tardy post this week. The only games I caught live were the 4th Q of the OSU/Maryland tilt and the end of the Ole Miss/Vandy game (terrible call against OM there).

The Citadel Bulldogs in my presence are proclaiming victory for their 10-10 tie at the half in Tuscaloosa. At the half, Nick Saban must have threatened numerous things including a bad referral to NFL scouts and less bagmen visits. Alabama then played normal to win 50-17, but give Citadel credit, they scored points and made Tua play a lot.

The other powers won as usual. Clemson started slow with Trevor Lawrence missing throws, but they then overpowered Duke 35-6. Notre Dame, perhaps feeling a bit disrespected, made a statement win 36-3 over Syracuse in Yankee Stadium. Michigan sleptwalked over Indiana by 11. Georgia, OU and LSU all won easily. The only upset was Ok St upending WV 45-41, now making the Big 12 faithful hopeful that OU wins out.

Game of the day was in College Park Maryland battled Ohio St in a wild game filled with turnovers, points and weird plays. The Terps got a score late on a 3rd down fumble for a 7 point lead, but the Buckeyes matched it to send the game into OT at 45. OSU scored a TD and Maryland then scored to go one down. Interim coach Matt Canada went for the win on a 2 pt play, but the Terps QB missed a wide open receiver to lose 52-51. This game has to be remembered for the excruciating body language of Urban Meyer, but the Bucks have their showdown with Michigan next Saturday. 

It is said that it is nearly impossible to have three undefeated teams, actually four if you count UCF, in the regular season. We pretty much know Clemson and Notre Dame are getting there, and if Tua is healthy, so is Bama. That then begs the question of whether it is the Big 10 champ, OU or Georgia for the final spot. At least we get a slate of games next weekend.