Skip to main content

Reply to "College Football 2018"

Weekend Summary

We all talk about the excitement, the unpredictable nature of the sport, the upsets, etc, that make the game the one we love. Well, it did not happen this weekend. In fact, for the first time since 2009, all top ten teams won this late into the season. Almost all of the games were non-competitive.

The game that was actually exciting was an earlier than expected Bedlam Bowl in Norman. Oklahoma did was they usually do, win a high scoring affair late 48-47. The Sooners offense is led by young genius Lincoln Riley who has another playmaking QB in Kylar Murray. Ok St also scored points at will and the mullet national spokesman Mike Gundy gamely went for two at the end, probably saving both teams from a four hour OT session. OU has the offense to play with anyone, but a team that can pound it will give them trouble. 

Summarizing the top ten, Bama was held under 500 yds offense for the first time this year. Miss St actually matched them physically and made them look ordinary. The health of Tua is a concern and he is looking ordinary at this point. Even though Miss St got robbed of a TD on a phantom penalty, Bama still won 24-0. Clemson went up to cold Boston to methodically win 27-7. Notre Dame beat FSU 42-13 in the JBurman classic. Michigan routed Rutgers, as they and everyone else does, 42-7. In the south's oldest rivalry "tween the hedges" Georgia over Auburn 27-10. LSU, Wash St, WV and Ohio St all kept their hopes alive.  As for the playoff picture, nothing changed.

Finally, I was one play away from leaving the TV to the driving range but stayed. For the fourth straight week, teams were running up and down the field against Florida. The Gators are really weak at DT (no inside push), LB (I can cover better) and S. However, they have a coach with a will to win and came back to beat SC 35-31. Never should of happened but then again I would have taken anything over 7 wins this year in August so I will leave it there.