Skip to main content

Reply to "College Football 2018"

Weekend Summary

Well I went to my one game a year in Gainesville, although I had a missed a few years, and it is fun to relive memories, traditions, etc. That being said, this Gators team is reverting to the mean based on its talent level and culture from previous regimes. There is no way that Missouri should dominate Florida in any year, maybe beat them, but not dominate. The Gators need to search within and maybe play some guys now that the four game limit for redshirts will allow it. Mizzou QB Drew Locke had a great time in a 38-17 win.

Alabama is simply making college football boring. The Tide went into Baton Rouge, Death Valley, against a 3rd ranked LSU team and methodically whipped them 29-0. The galling thing is that everyone expected it to be more and it feels like the Tide played an average game. Maybe Georgia, Michigan or most probably Clemson can give them a game, but it does not look that way. I will always hedge with anything can happen, but we could be looking at a historically dominant team.

As for the others, Clemson is on a roll and maybe Dabo can give his alma mater a tussle. The Tigers crushed Louisville 77-14 and suddenly Bobby Petrino is not an offensive genius anymore. Notre Dame won another game 31-21, this time against Northwestern. Michigan made  a statement against Penn St 42-7, and maybe Harbaugh is getting his groove with Shea Patterson. Meanwhile, Penn St is not elite, they are not great and maybe merely good. Georgia won their half of the SEC by going to "bluegrass territory" and dispatching Kentucky 38-17. Georgia simply has too much talent for Kentucky. Finally, the Big 12 is down to OU and West "by God" Virginia for possibly a playoff slot. The Sooners edged Texas Tech in a high scoring affair and the Mountaineers beat Texas 42-41 on a two point conversion late.