Skip to main content

Reply to "College Football 2018"

Weekend Summary

I was a bit late to see if any of you were still out there given the lack of responses lately. I did go out of town for a family function so I was a bit limited in watching games. I am fine as to the Gator outcome because what I expected to happen did happen.

We saw it in 2015, saw it again in 2016 and again in the semis in 2017, and you are going to see it in 2018. Of course, that is Alabama playing Clemson for the title. I know it is college football and anything can happen, but those are clearly the best two teams. This is based on recent history, talent level and the play thus far this year.

Clemson went into Tallahassee in what once was a very compelling series, but not anymore. The T-I-G-E-Rss-S sent FSU to its worst loss at home in program history 59-10. Clemson started slowly but found their stride and started scoring points in bunches while holding the FSU offense to negative yards rushing. Dabo knew he needed Trevor Lawrence to beat Bama and while the decision to start him looked shaky a month ago, it looks great now. FSU, for the first time in almost 50 years, now has to deal with a coach in over his head (and yes, I am still scared they will beat the Gators).

For the first time in ages, the "cocktail party" in Jacksonville was between two ranked teams. Georgia used their depth and overall talent to win 36-17 in a game that was more competitive than the final score. The Gators needed to play a clean game to win, but a minus three turnover margin plus missed opportunities on open pass plays sealed their fate. Florida lost their best cover corner early, CJ Henderson, and that made them have to play vanilla defense thereafter. Dawgs QB Jake Fromm gladly took advantage by throwing three TD passes on 3rd down.  The Gators still have a big problem at QB in Feleipe Franks, so hopefully the frosh QB plus the two recruited ones can solve that problem. Georgia is still alive although they have to beat pesky Kentucky (who edged Mizzou 15-14 on the last play of the game) to play Bama in Atlanta. The Gators still can exceed their preseason goals if they can shake this loss off.

The only other big upset was Texas losing in Stillwater to Ok St 38-35. The Horns appear to be one year away and this puts OU back in the playoff hunt.