Reply to "Cloudy wine? Good, Bad or Ugly?"

Having just watched the presidential debate, I'm in the mode of responding either: "It depends", or "There are two sides to everything".

So what would they say about cloudy wine? Beats me. But I can tell you what I think: I don't like it. In the scheme of wine characteristics: Nose; Color; Taste; Layers; Balance; Clarity / Cloudiness, or more technically measured-- "turbidity", I put it somewhat lower on the list. But I've had a number of cloudy wines (not to be confused with "opaque" or "extracted"), and I consider it a "flawed" wine.

Cloudiness can also go beyond the visual aspect of the wine. There is often some linkage to texture / mouth feel, and can be some linkage to the nose of the wine. I just don't want my wine to taste or look like it was made in a blender. I believe that Mr. Parker has so beat the "unfiltered / unfined" drum, that many winemakers have come to believe that doing anything to a wine to get the chunks out is a step backwards. Of course, there is a matter of degree in this discussion (and that is where the situation is measured... via "turbidity" testing). I don't think all wine needs to look like a bottle of Evian, but I sure don't want it to resemble pineapple juice either.

TM