Skip to main content

Reply to "Chinese and Herbal Medicine vs. prescription drugs."

quote:
In my own opinion, there is a... good reason Asian people have a long history of having long life spans, and modern medicines have little or even nothing to do with it.

This is true.

quote:
I know many in the medical field look down upon these forms of medicine

This is true.

quote:
[I, however, believe that they] work... very [well].

This is false. Well, it is true that you believe that they work well. It is false that they do...

Medicines that in controlled scientific experiments are found not to work do not work. Now, some things do work -- accupuncture, for example, really can relieve stress which can lead to a healthier life, both mentally and physically. There are certainly homeopathic and natural things out there that can help boost the immune system -- Vitamin C, Echinacea... even low levels of iron for some people.

But if we are talking about the stuff that "Western Medicine" says doesn't work -- ie. science says doesn't work because it has been studied by doctors and/or technicians under controlled conditons and found not to work -- well, that stuff doesn't work.

The reason that people from more affluent Asian countries have a longer life expectancy is not rocket science. If almost everyone in the US ate no processed starches, no tropical nut oils, tons of fruit and vegetables and tons of fish with virtually no red meat, we would have the same life expectancy.