Reply to "CheckMate Artisanal Wines in BC - any takers?"

I've probably had 9 or 10 various bottles from CheckMate the past few years, mainly with business meals and almost all of them being their Merlots.  I think Bruce Sanderson's notes are generally in line, they are quite good 91-93 point wines with power and a touch more complexity than I typically find in BC reds.  I particularly like the End Game bottling which I understand to be from a single vineyard on the lake at the very south end of Osoyoos by the US border.

Whether the merlots are worth $85 retail each is a personal call, but not terribly out of line compared to other "high end" BC wines. But at the current price point you are of course getting into some serious wine. 

Interestingly John Schreiner recently gave their Little Pawn Chardonnay ($110) 100 points, apparently his first 100 point score ever awarded for a BC table wine. I note Gismondi, who I find to be a good critic and a fair reviewer, just gave it 93 points.  So I expect it to be very good but again not sure about the value proposition at $110.