Skip to main content

Reply to "Cellar / Aging - Can anyone help?"

Redhawk . . . I'm going to go ahead and agree pretty much with everything you said!

Particularly agree with the "when to drink" wine comments. I have historically drunk my wines quite young. My cellar is >90% California, Oregon, and WA (mostly CA). I was drinking a lot of my cabs at 3-5 years with ~6-10 hours of decanting time. And, you know what, I really loved them. I still do enjoy young wine.

But, as I have been introduced to wines with more age on them, I am appreciating how wines develop once they get 10, 15, 20+ years on them. Sometimes I have liked older wines better than younger, but the opposite is still true

I have essentially learned that there are no hard and fast rules here . . . pretty much just stick with what you like. And the only way to know what you like is to drink more and more wines of a wide variety of ages and styles and from a wide range of countries.

I am particularly enjoying learning more about French, Italian, and Spanish wines. In my opinion, there not better or worse than US wines, just different and I'm starting to really appreciate discovering those differences