Skip to main content

Reply to "Art Enthusiast:"

Spent a few hours this afternoon at Glenstone, in Potomac, MD with my youngest granddaughter.  I have given away passes to this museum twice since it was expanded in 2018, and wish I hadn't.  It's an 18 minute drive from my home, and I'll certainly return as soon as I can scrounge up more passes.  Admission to the museum is free, but passes are snapped up within hours of becoming available.  

I make no claims to being any sort of art expert, nor to any great knowledge of architecture or landscaping, but I was greatly impressed by this place.  Architecturally imposing, yet subtle.  Wonderfully landscaped, and in harmony with the gently rolling hills of the environment.  The docents were excellent and knowledgeable, if a little Orwellian in their gray uniforms and serious demeanor regarding the "house rules."

Was greatly impressed by Collapse, commissioned by Michael Heizer for Glenstone.  Even the gravel surrounding this piece was selected by the artist.  The rust brown, gray and off white components of the rocks perfectly compliment the massive work.

Was, and am still a little freaked out by Robert Gober's untitled multi-sensory large scale, multi-room installation.  It's eerie and a bit scary, and very powerful.  I'm not sure if I want to go back in there.

As an aside, although passes need to be procured months in advance, patrons arriving by the county Ride-On bus system are admitted without prior reservations.  A nice, egalitarian touch by the county and owners of the museum.  Highly recommended.  Passes for October are available on-line the morning of August 1.

PH