Skip to main content

Reply to "Art Enthusiast:"

Dropped into the Franklin Bowles gallery in New York this past weekend and spent an hour with Matt Hannan, one of the consultants there, viewing the current exhibition along with some of the artists they represent and have on display.

The current exhibition is by Gottfried Salzmann, an Austrian artist, whose current exhibition is really impressive. He does some collage work, but the pieces that impressed me the most were from a series of watercolors of New York from the perspective of a helicopter. Beautiful pieces that kept me going back and discovering more each time I walked by. Being relatively naive in art and with a few watercolor painters in my family who have focused on wide sweeping natural landscapes, I've always associated watercolor with these types of scenes. But the detail Salzmann is able to achieve in these paintings is incredible and really opened my mind to where watercolor can be used.

One of the artists they rep is Eduardo Arranz-Bravo, a Spanish artist, who spent time painting with Miro. Being a huge fan of Miro, I was deeply impressed with Arranz-Bravo's pieces, which show some influence of Miro, but tend to explore more deeply the shades of the palate he is using, while using similar techniques to draw the eye to specific areas with hints of color or light. We are seriously considering the purchase of a piece of his that we loved and would like to have in our home.

The gallery also has some more minor Matisse, Picasso, Dali and Miro pieces. Matt was terrific and it was a pleasure to spend an hour with him learning about the Arranz-Bravo and Salzmann.

If you are in Soho, its certainly worth a drop in to see the current exhibition and some of the works of the artists they rep.