Skip to main content

Reply to "Art Enthusiast:"

quote:
w+a wrote:...I have heard people say, they do not like Giclees. A giclee can be an original work of art, and often is although they do not have to be. There are serious artist that create the original art piece within the computer and then print the piece using machine technology. There is no 'original' painted piece that was then copied. I have heard people ask to see the original from the Giclee, and the artist must explain, there is no such thing. This is not a reproduction, it is the original.

I think it also helps for someone to understand the reason artist often use a form of printmaking. One of the driving forces from the late 1800's - forward is a rejection of control, power, possessiveness and the role of art in the modern world through the eyes of then emerging artist and even established artist then and now. Printmaking was in many ways a way for an artist to give the finger to the powerful, elite, the church or the high-and-mighty state owned museums and such. There was a rejection of a museum, the Vatican or even a gallery choosing what was seen and by whom or what was not and when. Offering multiple prints was just one way to break such control that artist often despised. From the Vatican to the Louvre, someone is choosing what is seen and what is not, and only about 10% of what is owned is on display at any time.

There was also the thinking from artist that art should not be for only the well-to-do,or people that had the money or even access to museums, and serious art should be affordable and hanging in the dorm rooms of students across the world.

You've given me much to think about with these words. I recall your offer of a phone call a few years back during my giclee struggles. Your comments may not ultimately change my mind, but they certainly open up my views on the artform
Gracias