Skip to main content

Reply to "Art Enthusiast:"

quote:
Originally posted by VinToronto:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by VinToronto:
On another note, have you ever had an interest in, or acquired any art glass? It has always fascinated me as a medium.

Vin, I have made two monumental mistakes in art. One was not buying a Dale Chihuly (glass) piece in 1981 (?) for less than $500, and also not buying a Rufino Tamayo work in 1990 for $7500.

We absolutely loved the Tamayo piece, but I was trying to fund our kids college fund and had our house on a 15 year note. Tamayo died the next year and the piece was auctioned off at $47,000. Mad The same piece has since been sold for well over $100k. I knew the piece was worth $20k plus when we found it, but I just could not talk myself into writing the check.

The Chiluly work I was never crazy about, but D liked it. Every time he is in the news, or we stay at the Bellagio in Vegas, I hear a smart ass comment... I wonder what that piece would be worth now? Red Face

I have looked at buying glass art, but just never have. Seaquam ( a forum member that does not post enough) has a couple of nice works I liked a lot. Overall, glass art just does not fall into the genres we have great passion for, but you never know.

A Chihuly for sub-$500?? Bang Bang Great story!

I've taken a bunch of glassblowing courses and still have yet to progress much past the blobby paperweight/basic vase stage. That's why it fascinates me - because it's WAY harder than it looks. And great glass artists make it look easy. I have a few pieces, but I'm really waiting for some renos to be completed before we have the perfect spot to put a nice piece.

One of my fave glass artists is Jeff Goodman. Buying one of his pieces is definitely on my bucket list.

Couple of months ago we were visiting our favorite gallery in Seattle, and were taken into the back warehouse where they keep their bigger pieces. Despite its comparatively modest size in that context where it was dwarfed, both my wife's and my eyes were immediately drawn to a colorful blown glass bowl that was stunning! Chihuly, of course, offered at $48000. His work has a drama that surpasses almost all other art glass. If I were never intending to buy another bottle of wine in my lifetime, I might have made an offer on that piece. I was told that our reaction to the piece is common when people come into the back area.

That said, we like and collect a bit of art glass. We have a few special Lalique vases, Merrilee Moore and Robert Held pieces, and some circa-1930s art deco vases. Paintings are still our preferred passion, though.