Reply to "Architecture and Design thread"

jabe11 posted:
Had a very enjoyable day out at Audley End. The site has Roman roots and Tudor history, but the building is Jacobean. I say, the room attendants were engaging without being overbearing, or smug; the grounds were beautiful...quintessential English country side; impressive portraiture hanging, including works by Holbein, Rembrandt, Van Dyck, Raphael, a couple of Canalettos sprinkled in, et al. A huge amount of period furniture...based on the limited literature I have read, I assume most was from the 1820's-30's. An incredible and unique experience.

A few other spots we've seen over the weeks:

Lavenham on a crisp clear day with my son...of interest for its Tudor residential architecture. The town was prosperous in the wool trade in the 15-16th centuries until Dutch traders moved in and crashed the market. The town subsequently declined, and there was little new construction of note for centuries, resulting in a dearth of Tudor houses. The town center's Guild hall is worth a stop; additionally, there is a very credible French-themed restaurant in the town square...get the duck breast.

Tours of Trinity College and St. John's College - within the Trinity College quad, there is nothing visible from beyond the 16th century (except for the 'keep off the grass' signs). The tour of St, john's is much more extensive..worth taking the strol over the River Cam. Knowing Cambridge well enough, it is cool to see it in a few recent movies (The Theory of Everything, The Imitation Game).

84AD1299-0CC6-4360-A811-CB44C6476C06Audley End, this was such a fun day!

Attachments

Photos (2)