Skip to main content

Reply to "April 12th Dinner with Paul and Stefania in Chicago"

A note about Gravner's wine. Reading the note, I found it perfectly aligned with my own impressions about this whole category of wines based on my tasting during the past years. Same applies to the friends of mine that I tasted these wines with in the past; intellectually interesting but frankly not that good.

However, last year, some friend of mine decided to bring some forgotten bottles of Gravner and Radikon to our blind tastings. Forgotten here means 1998 or so. The expectation wasn't very high, but these bottles performed very, very well; and that happened consistently with bottles of that age. Color was in a category of its own, as one can expect, but nose and mouth had gained a class and a complexity that we couldn't even imagine based on our experience with bottles with less age on them. Outstanding wines, actually. So, if you want to follow my suggestion, don't throw away these bottles if you happen to own some, just forget them for many years and you'll be spectacularly rewarded.