Reply to "Alternative to Caymus cab?"

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
If your wine budget is only $60 per month, I'd rather drink one bottle per month versus drinking a $15 bottle each week.

I'm the opposite. I'd rather a nice 15 - 20 dollar bottle once a week than a 60 dollar bottle if that was my budget. I honestly don't find a huge difference in a good 90-91pt/$20 dollar cab vs a 92-93/60 dollar bottle. Not like one is being choked down and the other is mind blowing. Plus the more often one drinks the more different wines you can try (obviously) and see what you like if you're new to the sport. If you're talking say an $80 - $100+ bottle that's usually where I start finding something special that would be worth missing out on a very nice weekly bottle for under 20 bucks. But I'd much rather a 50 dollar bottle once a week than a 7 dollar bottle every day Ack !

But if you're checking out the Beringer heckofagator try the Napa bottling too. More ripe and bold than the KV. And if you can find the Mondavi Oakville on sale for 40 bucks or so that's a great one to grab also for about half what you can usually grab a Caymus for.