Skip to main content

Reply to "Albums turning 50"

@steve8 posted:

The early 60's produced a lot of bubblegum rubbish and I'd argue that early Beatles was mostly shite. The mid-latter part of the decade certainly changed the course of popular music, but many of those musicians, the ones who survived became more proficient players in the 70's (i.e. The Stones).

I agree with Steve regarding his point that the early 60s, including The Beatles early albums, consisted of much "rubbish".

Rubber Soul was released in December 1965; that began a string of some of the greatest albums in rock/pop history.

And while the late 60s spawned the greatest rock bands in history - Led Zeppelin, The Who, and The Rolling Stones (in that order, by the way, Steve ), their greatest work came in the 70s.

The addition of the brilliant albums from Marvin Gaye and Pink Floyd, the emergence of David Bowie, Elton John, Queen, Aerosmith; and later in the decade - The Clash, Talking Heads, Van Halen, The Police, Blondie, The Pretenders, Joy Division, The Cars, The Sex Pistols, Prince, The Ramones, and Michael Jackson; the 70s win in a landslide.

(Talk amongst yourselves)