Skip to main content

Reply to "a note on moderation"

On this site, post counts and the ability to contribute meaningful conversation seem to be independent events. The replies to my previous post in this thread are great examples of this.

To answer the question, post counts are a deterrent to newbies, many of whom actually believe there is a correlation between post counts and wine knowledge. (Actually, on a more moderated board, there probably would be some correlation...) Without post counts, everyone here would be on equal footing, with only a person's online personality separating them from everyone else.

With the current state of this site, it seems the only new people becoming active posters are people the site doesn't want or need. If one really wants to see this site grow in a positive fashion, one should make the site conducive for lurkers to feel comfortable to post without ridicule or repurcussions. That is not the state of this site today.

The banning of Serge Birbrair will do nothing to help this situation. I'm offering a suggestion to help newbies to feel comfortable posting. If anyone else has constructive suggestions, I'm sure the folks at WS are watching this thread...

Mark