Skip to main content

Reply to "a note on moderation"

Thank you very much for addressing this topic. I appreciate it. It’s a shame you had to carve the time out of your day to do so.

You acknowledge that while many of Serge’s posts have violated the TOS, so have the posts of many other members. (I not so proudly include myself in that category.) When one particular member is so prolific, the issue of scale comes in to play. I suspect he’s run afoul of the TOS more than any other member by leaps and bounds. I’m not trying to be antagonistic, just something I was mulling over.

I also wonder a bit about resources. Does it get to the point where, although philosophically repugnant, it would perhaps be easier, more efficient, for Wine Spectator to ban specific member(s) rather than having their administrators respond to a (presumably) large volume of reported posts?

Nonetheless, I respect your request for a civil tone. Going forward, I myself will certainly try to exhibit only civil behavior. In terms of an “ignore” feature, such a feature would be cool, but we’d still have to wade through all the responses to a given objectionable post, or skip reading that particular thread – the latter a shame because there is often good info throughout. Because new members join daily, my concern is they won’t necessarily see this thread asking for our cooperation.

At the risk of sounding ingratiating, I love the forums and am grateful that you continue to offer us this opportunity to discuss and learn more about wine. Thank you. Cheers!