Skip to main content

Reply to "2020-2021 European Football"

@steve8 posted:

Not to discount the Danes but I like England's chances of being in the final. Jabe, any second thoughts on your comments about Southgate's team selection or the dropping of Sterling and Kane? Don't feel bad, I was saying the same a couple of weeks ago as well as dissing Shaw.

Ha!  I am sure Southgate feels a huge sense of vindication (as well he should...5 clean sheets and all), but was it really too much to ask more of Kane?  He was WAY off the pace for the first three and was deservedly pulled from that one game.  As a world class poacher/striker, you kinda felt his time was coming, tho and I'm glad it has.

Sterling is a different matter.  I think he has come in for unfair criticism over the years, and the horrible racial abuse he has dealt with is despicable.   He is a very, very good player, but he could be a great player, and I think that is where a lot of fans frustrations lie.  It seems that through all of his clever moves, darting runs, jinxes,  and leaving piles of defenders in his wake, it seems far too often his final touch deserts him at the end of it all, or only to fire clear over the bar, or some other error. 

I can't see the Danes going any further.  They are solid and its been huge how far they've made it, but England have too much fire power.  And they are playing as a team, not a bunch of high priced egos firing shots from 25 yards out.  3-0 to England today.

That was a tense match yesterday.  Another benefit of 100% mandated telework, I've been able to catch most of the matches, and there've been some good ones.  England 3-2 Italy