Skip to main content

Reply to "2019-2020 European Football (Soccer) Season"

I've stayed away from this forum since Arsenal has basically sucked butt this year.  Emery was a disaster.  And Xhaka represents everything horrible about Arsenal, all in one convenient place.  He is an above average offensive player, able to spray passes all across the field and he has a cannon for a left foot.  But he goes missing in big games, he sucks at defense, with his errors usually costing the team greatly, was given the captain's armband, only to get it taken away after he cussed at his own fans after yet another disastrous performance.  

I hope Arteta is able to inspire the squad.  Somehow Lacazette has been shunned, but I have enjoyed having Pepe/Ozil/Auba all on the field at the same time.  They haven't quite hit on all cylinders yet, but the makings are there.  It just happens that their defense is legitimately horse crap.  DeBruyne's first goal was classic Arsenal.  They looked impressive on attack, gave up possession, opposing team counters, and then scores with precision, as Arsenal's young hope (in this case Martinelli) fails to track back and pick up his man.  At some point, Arsenal needs to hire a lesser known coach who gets players who play defense.  How on earth does a team like Sheffield United give up 11 less goals in the same amount of games?