Skip to main content

2015 Cedric Bouchard Cote de Val Vilaine Blanc de Noirs

Chilled down to just below refrigerator temp.  Opened and given 40 minutes of bottle air in room-temperature room before tasting, so probably tasted ~ 50 degrees F, maybe a little cooler at first.

Tree bark is the first thing that hits me.  How much oak does this see?  Regardless, it is excellent and joined by honeydew, red apple, toffee, and a lint of lime zest and minerality.  On the next sniff it seems more simple and reminds me of fresh (red) apple cider.  And this hard-to-pin-down nose continues.  The palate is lovely with heavy tree bark on the attack.  I don't want to give the impression that this is over-naked, it isn't. I don't even know how much of this is terroir vs. oak, but it is great, complex, and interesting   And the bark is reminiscent of walnut.  Toast, red apples, tiny red berries and a hint of caramel, lime zest and limestone are all present on the palate.  The bubbles are a little large relative to the ideal, and overall, the viscositity is a little airy.  But the acid level is perfect for what is going on, allowing the wine to be quite round.  While deeply interesting, and also hedonistically appealing.  The finish begins to fade very quickly, but a little lingers surprisingly long.  I got these for a steal at $75/per.  I'm glad I have more, and I may go back and get even more.  This will probably improve in the near-term, but this is surprisingly approachable now. 92/92.5

Last edited by winetarelli
Original Post