Skip to main content

Reply to "2011 U.S. Open Tennis Championship:"

quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
Perhaps the remaining women should just concede the tournament to Serena now? Eek

Uhhuh. Serena trounced Michaella Krajicek who is ranked #183 and should have retired many years ago. You might call it dominance, but I'd call it a lucky draw and wishful thinking. Smile

Anyway, time will tell who's right...

If you beat any player in a Grand Slam tournament -0 and -1, that is absolute dominance, regardless of their ranking.

It is certainly not wishful thinking on my part, just an objective observation. I am not necessarily a fan of Serena. In fact, I have found her increasingly less tolerable over the past several years.

I really enjoyed the exhuberance with which she played the game when she was younger. I hope she can recapture some of that in her return to the women's tour.

As I've stated in previous posts, I believe her focus and experience will be too much for the competition.

I don't think there is any one player on the women's side who can be considered a heavy favourite for the title this year. Did you see Serena in Cincinatti?

On the men's side, Nadal didn't look all that solid in his opening match, and there's no telling about Djokovic's shoulder injury based on his match. I'd have to say that Federer has looked most solid so far in the opening rounds. I'd be inclined to place a speculative bet on his chance of winning one more grand slam here.

Good suspense going into the second week...