Reply to "2010 Mascot"

Ok, gave this another go tonight.

One caveat . . whether real or imagined, I've always experienced Napa wines as going through a "dumb phase" somewhere in the 5-10 year old range. I like them younger and older than that, but have had bad luck with some of them in this age range. I'm guessing that the last time I had a 2010 was a couple years ago and I had fond memories of it.

Tonight was a slight exception. I gave it a 6-hour decant. Had the characteristic fruit I associate with this label (cherry / dark red fruit), but had a little more of a distracting alcohol component that was front and center. It wasn't terrible, but it was off-putting enough that my wife was not interested in a second glass.

Dumb phase? Too young? Evolving? Not quite sure what to say, but suffice it to say that I'm not going to dip into another one for another few years. Want to get these past the 10 year mark and give them another go

That all said, I distinctly remember this being a great bottle when opened shortly after arrival. So, this seems to be confirming my "drink-em-young or give 'em some time" philosophy