Reply to "2008 Kim Crawford - Sauvignon Blanc"

Escape,

Yes in fact a friend of mine was the first person to point out Didier Daganau here on the forums back in 2001 ( we drank three different bottlings of his and Pascal Jolivet together in a tasting organised by Peter Maude.)- Jeremy is his name. I have drank Didier Daganau, Pascal Jolivet, and numerous other Pouilly Fume and Sancere. Yes they are very very good.

BUT as only 15 of Kim Crawfords wines are even exported to the US I would not be willing to comment on them unless I had tried them. As I stated earlier I am by no means a fan of his wines- there is alot of controversy surrounding them. His Small Parcel wines are very very good, if somewhat different (ie one of the savs is given oak and lees stirring and bottled after a year.). And to mention some of the top NZ sav's on these forums alot of them have had his influence, or winemaking in the background.

Keep in mind that all NZ producers are tiny- Kim Crawfords commercial release (and he is a big label in terms of production in NZ) is about 800,000 bottles (less than 90,000 cases.).

edit- Please understand I am not saying KC is better than Daganau nor Daganau is better than KC. I am simply stating the wine you are talking about is the lowest tier on Kim Crawfords wine range. I am also stating that I doubt Daganau would be brilliant at all grape varieties as the process of learning to make great wine doesn't start at being a good winemaker in one. Example Michael Brajkovich is brilliant at Chardonnay, but I am yet to be convinced by his Pinot Noir. Something he admits he is still learning about.