Reply to "2000 Dr. Loosen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett (Moset-Saar-Ruwer)"

TJ-

You know I'm all about vintage and location. In fact, with Jones gone, my only skilled debator on this is gone. Nevertheless, these are my impressions FWIW:

-2000 and 1991 were the poorest vintages for German Riesling in last 12 years. By contrast, 1996 and 1999 were very good. Of course, some wines beat the odds, as usual, but even good wines are better enjoyed from great vintages than otherwise.
-2001 is supposed to be excellent but hasn't arrived yet, at least not in stores around here.
VM posted extensive notes at a Sam's tasting. You should review those.
-That said, just across the river in Alsace 2000 was a successful vintage year, after mostly average years.
-But, the best similar varietal wines, especially on QPR basis, have been recently from Austria, from 1997 through 2000, though 1998 was much better for botrytized than dry wines. In fact, 1998 botrytized Austrian wines are the best I've tried in my 10 years of paying attention to wine.

TJ, you and your lovely wife now have something to look forward to and to compare to when 2001 hits the shelves.

DrT