Reply to "2000 Dr. Loosen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett (Moset-Saar-Ruwer)"

Friedrich Wilhelm Gymnasium is a MSR producer I know little about but what I have tasted has been exceptional. They are wines that need age however with the residual sweetness dominating a little too much for my liking. That is until they are about 12 years old, then they turn into extremely elegant balanced wines. Even the Kabinett is bloody good and great QPR as well. I think the Auslese I bought for 25$ NZD so thats about 12$ USD. If drinking this with food, Chinese (as you discovered) is perfect. Most other foods make the wine taste out of balance.
Ergon Muller is considered one of the top producers of the MSR. His wines command ridiculous prices at auction, but his wines are incredibly longlived. If you are looking for a perfect example of German balance and wine style and are willing to fork out a lot of money then try Muller, otherwise I would stick with producers like FWG, Fritz Haag and S.A.Prum all good sound producers who make great examples of German styles. Aged stock is often available, the best recent vintages are 1997, 1993 and 1990. Although some 1998 and 1999 stood up quite well also.