1983 Rudesheimer Berg Schlossberg Spatlese

1983 Rudesheimer Berg Schlossberg Riesling Spatlese by Weingut Dr. Heinrich Nagler. I only have (had!) the one bottle of this wine and opened it last week, so no chance to repeat.

The cork on this bottle looked to be in extremely bad shape, and my first suspicions were that the wine must surely be spoiled. No problem though, the wine was in absolutely first-rate condition.

Surprisingly, there was almost no nose to speak of. The wine was clear, and a slightly golden shade of yellow. For a 21 year old spatlese, the acidity was quite remarkable, and was superbly integrated with the fruit. Medium-bodied, the flavours of peaches dominated over tones of sweet pineapple and lychees. Not much in the way of steely or mineral notes that I might have expected. Everything was so nicely integrated, that the wine just brought big happy smiles to all of our faces.

I said the wine had no nose to speak of. But, for about two hours after the meal finished, I was left with a lingering sense of the aromas that might have been. A sort of phantom nasal aftertaste, if there be such a thing.
Original Post